Friday, August 8, 2008

What's on your TBR shelf?

I can't seem to stop myself from buying good books. I'm soooo lucky my degree (and my career aspirations) make reading pop fiction a requirement.

What's on my shelf right now? Keep in mind, this list doesn't include the 20-ish books I packed up to ship ahead of me when I move in a few weeks. These are just the books I know I'll read within the next month...

Minion*, L.A. Banks
Gale Force, Rachel Caine
The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance, Trisha Telep ed.
Through the Veil, Shiloh Walker
Coffin County, Gary Braunbeck
Dark Hollow, Brian Keene
Darkness Wakes, Tim Waggoner
Wraith, Phaedra Wilson
Industrial Magic*, Kelley Armstrong
Fallen, Erin McCarthy
The Iron Hunt, Marjorie M. Liu
The Devil You Know, Jenna Black
The Good Fairies of New York, Martin Millar
Phantasmagoria*, Marina Warner
Techniques of the Selling Writer*, Dwight Swain

So what's on your list?

*These are required books for this term at school. Personal Demons by Stacia Kane was my fifth required book.

7 comments:

Donnell said...

Hey, KL. That's a great list! Wow for craft-related I'm reading Fearless Creating, for nonfiction I'm reading David McCullouch's John Adams again, because he's so amazing. TBR is Shana Abe' Smoke Thief and Misty Evans Operations Sheba. That's all I can squeeze in for now, although I did just finish Sandra Brown's Richochet!

KL Grady said...

How do you like Fearless Creating?

Donnell said...

What I like about Fearless Creating by Eric Maisel is that he shows no mercy to published and unpublished alike. Something that hit a home with me was his reference to complacency once you're published. We are working so hard to reach that brass ring, that we fail to realize that just like any artform, with each project we should strive to be better and better. And he nails that concept. If you're on contract and you're writing and you do what has worked and worked and worked, you fall into the same old grind and you lose some of the magic. Mr. Maisel challenges artists to let go of the tried and true and reach out to the scary unknown. I think this is a brilliant suggestion for any artist sold or unsold, would you agree, KL?

KL Grady said...

I would totally agree. If things become rote, you won't grow, and your books will suffer. I love authors when I know, each time I pick up a new book by them, it's likely to be at least as good as the last one and usually is better. Those are my favorites.

Plus, your Muse can totally sputter dry if you're not doing anything to stoke her fires. ;)

I'll have to check out that book next time I'm at the bookstore.

Penny Rader said...

I have way too many to list, but teetering on top of my TBR pile:

Craft related:
Escaping into the Open by Elizabeth Berg
Pen on Fire by Barbara DeMarco-Barrett
If You Want to Write by Brenda Ueland
GMC by Deb Dixon
Fiction Writer's Brainstormer's by James Smith

Fiction:
High Noon by Nora Roberts
Ugly Duckling by Iris Johansen
Mr. Murder by Dean Koontz
The Husband by Dean Koontz
Flirting with Forty by Jane Porter
About a Boy by Nick Hornby
Secrets of the Highlander by Janet Chapman
The newest JD Robb book will be at the tippy top as soon as I buy it.

KL Grady said...

Penny: Awesome list! GMC is one of my favorite craft books, too. Debra Dixon is awesome.

Donnell said...

Penny, hi! That's a great list. I can highly recommend The Ugly Duckling and Mr. Murder. Of all Irish Johansen's books, it was my favorite. Mr. Murder will have you sleeping with the lights on. Great list.