Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Five Scribes count their blessings

During the turbulent time we're experiencing in the financial market and publishing industry, I still feel it's ironic my passion for writing is at an all time high. This Thanksgiving, I'm grateful for the gift of imagination, for the timeless love of storytelling and for our wide network of writers, where we can support, rant and communicate. I'm grateful for family, friends and my fellow Scribes. What fun we've had sharing our writing thoughts with all of you. ~ Donnell


Donnell, thank you for starting us off.
When we Scribes started talking about posting what we're thankful for in our lives, I thought it would be easy to list all the things I'm thankful for, my health, my life, my career, my family. Then I realized that was just too generic.

Life is full of bright moments and moments of darkness, of loss, when you think light will never again shine in your life. The darkness eventually is pierced by the love of good friends and family, and you realize the moments with the people you love may be physically fleeting, you hold them forever in your heart. I'm forever thankful for those moments.

And I'm forever thankful and grateful for the love of a good man. The comraderie of my five scribes and my writing mentors. And for my writing. I'm truly thankful that I can write stories that people will hopefully cry over, laugh with, relate to, and leave theatre or finish the book with a little something changed in their lives.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and remember, count your blessings.

LA


My husband is in Afghanistan now after almost two years of deployment hell, so it's hard to feel thankful for much. No, strike that. It's hard to feel content even though I'm very grateful for the things I do have. My two little boys are happy and healthy. I've had lots of writing successes this year.

Our Constitution rocks the casbah, and I have every faith that the country will begin to recover. I have amazing friends who've really been there for me during the worst of this past year. And best of all, this year is almost over, and I'll be able to see my husband - this time for longer than just two months - in February. So while I'm cranky right now, I have every reason to celebrate. I just might need a glass of wine to help me along. ;) Happy Thanksgiving, y'all, and brightest blessings. -KL

As with the others, I too am lucky that God has blessed me with the usual good fortunes of good health, the love of friends, family and wonderful writing pals, but right now, my four children are the thing I am most thankful for. Being a parent is, hands down, easily, the most difficult, longest, most important, task I've ever undertaken. The stakes are high.

If the publishing world never recognizes my brilliance and I never get published--even after nineteen years (the time it takes to raise a child), it would be very, very sad--but this failure would not be catastrophic. If I fail as a mother . . . now that would be a rejection letter of catastrophic proportions!

But right now, we're on the downside of the majority of the raising. Our oldest is 22 and the baby is 15 years old, and everybody is doing well--very well. Today. We don't know what disaster tomorrow may bring, but today they're all happy, healthy, behaving responsibly, making good choices, and not in jail. So for that, I am supremely grateful!

Happy Thanksgiving all and blessings to you and yours, T.



Blessings? I've had way more than my share. In a time of uncertainty for direction our country needs to take, for disasters that befall so many, for securities no matter where you seek them, I'm humbled by the blessings I count dear in my life.

  1. I'm thankful for a warm house and an income to meet the basic of needs.
  2. I'm thankful for having been a SAHM raising healthy, obnoxious, loving kids that will leave the nest in a few years with a certainty in their hearts that their parents love them.
  3. I'm thankful for a day job that brings joy to my life.
  4. I'm thankful for the opportunity to write stories about hope, life and family, and pray them into the hands that need the message the most.
  5. I'm thankful for my friends that give me the biggest gift ever -- unceasing love and unconditional acceptance.
  6. I'm thankful for my husband. Without him, growing old wouldn't be any fun.
  7. I'm thankful that for all my allergies, which I'm on great meds for, I've NEVER been allergic to chocolate : )
  8. I'm thankful for our United States Military that keeps our country safe.
  9. I'm thankful for our government that respects the rights of our nation's citizens.
  10. I'm thankful my Lord, Jesus Christ loves me.

I'm thankful for way more, but that'll have to wait until next year : )

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

-audra

No comments: