Tuesday, April 28, 2009

New Writing Book-


William Noble's book, Conflict, Action & Suspense isn't newly released.  It came out in hardback in 1994, but it's new to me.  After having recently judged dozens of entries for The Sandy, The Daphne, and The Genesis, I'm reminded of the elements of great writing by the mistakes many newbies make.  In the future, I'm going to blog on each newbie mistake I see--not only to help others, but to remind me of the basics of great writing!

Anyhow, I'm only on page 32 of Noble's book and I'm very happy 'cause he speaks in a language that I understand and I understand his examples.  You know what I mean?  Some writing teachers or books describe the process in different ways.  How many different ways have you heard "inciting incident" described?  Several, I'm sure.  But if you're like me, one sticks with you better than others.  Inciting incident works just fine for me.

Anyhow, as I'm puzzling out the basic characterization and major plot points of my new book, reading this helps remind me of what to do right, to minimize the weeks--okay, months, of revisions.

Check it out,
T


3 comments:

Donnell said...

Thanks for the recommendation, T. I'm always in for a thoughtful craft book, no matter what the copyright date.

Edie said...

I haven't read this one. I'll see if I can get this from the library.

Sushiboofay said...

I would love, love, love a copy of this book! AND great blog btw --- I will be following! ;-)