Monday, June 1, 2009

Welcome Julie Lessman!!


I'm thrilled to bring Julie Lessman to Five Scribes along with her repeat post originally written for Seekerville in April 09! Julie writes Edgy Christian Fiction ala Gone With The Wind...if Atlanta thought Scarlett created a storm, then Atlanta ain't seen nothing yet! Passionate about God and all things romance, Julie has a way of wrapping a reader tightly in her books until you release your breath at The End and it sounds suspiciously like a sigh...


Okay, I’ll be the first to admit that I am addicted to romance. I suppose that’s not as bad as being addicted to Twinkies or Ho Hos because at least it won’t slap extra pounds on my hips. But it does compel me to hunt down romance in every conceivable form like a heat-seeking missile. Books, movies, date night with my husband or just getting a “fix” by writing my own romantic novel—to me, it’s all good.

And God help me, I don’t think there’s anything I love more than writing romantic tension.

Every writer has their own style, of course, but being a drama queen, I tend away from subtle and sweet to that heart-pounding, breath-halting emotional tension that, for me, sets the page on fire. I suppose you could label me a romance arsonist because you see, as an edgy Inspirational author, it is my goal in life to set the reader on fire—both for God and for romance.
So recently, when I had several people express an interest in learning how I create romantic tension in my books, I had to sit down and really think about it. And what came to mind for me is drama – “raising the stakes,” as Donald Maas taught me in his excellent novel, Writing the Breakout Novel. Taking normal, loving characters and ratcheting up their emotions to the next level with dramatic situations that push them to the extreme. Upping the ante, if you will, by infusing the page with emotions and words that escalate the heartbeat, cause the breath to still in your throat.

Now, every writer has their own methods of adding romantic tension, but how do I like to do it?

1.) Well, one of my favorite ways is with ANGER, because let’s face it—nothing is more tense than anger! Following is a scene from the third book in The Daughters of Boston series, A Passion Denied, which released May 1st. In this scene, we have the mother and father, Marcy and Patrick, who, by the way, have the best marriage on the planet, in a tense fight scene that is almost foreign to their characters (i.e. raising the stakes to the next level). Not only do I utilize gruff action to build the tension, but at the end of the scene, I use short, bullet-fire dialogue to escalate it even more.


She was met with a cool blast of air when he snatched the covers from her body and flipped on the light. “Get up, darlin’, I’d like to hear all about your evening.”

Marcy sat up and put a hand to her eyes, squinting at the blinding light. “Patrick, have you been drinking?”

His laugh was not kind. “Yes, Marcy, I have. A man will often do that when he learns his wife has been unfaithful.”

She pressed back against the headboard, alarmed at the brutal look in his eyes. “That’s a lie! I have never been unfaithful.”

“Not physically, I’m sure.” His look pierced her to the core. “At least, not until tonight.”

Fear paralyzed her. “I fought him off, Patrick, I swear I did. He’s a liar.”

"Funny, he said the same about you.”

He took a step forward, and she cowered back. Her husband had never laid a cruel hand on her. But this man was not her husband. “Patrick, you’re tired, and you’ve been drinking. Come to bed, and we’ll discuss it in the morning.”

“Did you kiss him?”

“No, of course not!”

“Did he kiss you?”

She gasped for breath.

He gripped her arm and shook her. “Answer me!”

“Yes!”

His eyes glittered like ice. “Well, Mrs. O’Connor, and how do I compare?”

2.) Another way I like to create romantic tension is through the element of SURPRISE. Have the characters do something unexpected that jolts the reader as much as it does the character it’s happening to. Here is a scene from my current WIP, Refuge From the Storm, which is Katie O’Connor’s story, the fourth daughter in The Daughters of Boston series. I tried to build tension by implementing surprise with a touch of humor.

He nudged her chin up with his thumb, and her lips parted with a sharp intake of breath. And then he saw it. The gentle rise and fall of her chest, the soft rose in her cheeks, the skittish look in her eyes, flitting to his lips and then quickly away. Comprehension suddenly oozed through him like heated honey purling through his veins, quickening his pulse. Could it be? Was it possible that cold, callous Katie O’Connor was beginning to warm up? To him, of all people—Cluny McGee, the leper from her past? The thought sent warm ripples of shock through his body, thinning the air in his lungs.

His gaze gentled, taking in the vulnerability in her eyes, the fear in her face, and all he wanted to do was hold her, reassure her. As if under a spell, his gaze was drawn to her lips, parted and full, and the sound of her shallow breathing filled him with a fierce longing. “Oh, Katie,” he whispered, no power over the pull he was suddenly feeling. In slow motion, he bent toward her, closing his eyes to caress her mouth with his own. A weak gasp escaped her as she stiffened, but he couldn’t relent. The taste of her lips was far more than he bargained for, and he drew her close with a raspy groan. With a fierce hold, he cupped the back of her neck and kissed her deeply, gently, possessive in his touch. His fingers twined in her hair, desperate to explore.

And then beyond his comprehension, her body melded to his with an answering groan, and he was shocked when her mouth rivaled his with equal demand. Desire licked through him, searing his body and then his conscience. With a heated shudder, he gripped her arms and pushed her back, his breathing ragged as he held her at bay. “We can’t do this,” he whispered. He dropped his hold and exhaled, gouging shaky fingers through disheveled hair. His gaze returned, capturing hers and riddled with regret. “Believe me, Katie, as much as I want to, I’ve learned the hard way to take things slow. I should have never started this, and I’m sorry. Will you forgive me?”

Forgive him? She stared at him through glazed eyes, her pulse still pumping in her veins at a ridiculous rate. She never wanted this, couldn’t stand the sight of him, and now here she was, tingling from his touch and desperate for more. Addicted to the “King of misery.” The very thought inflamed both fury and desire at the same time, muddling her mind. Dear Lord, she was torn between welding her lips to his or slapping him silly. With a tight press of her mouth, she opted for the second and smacked him clean across the face.

3.) Of course, One of my favorite ways to escalate romantic tension is through INTERNAL MONOLOGUE, those deep, dark thoughts inside the characters’ minds that tell you they’re heading toward trouble. In my opinion, nothing builds tension better than internal monologue. Here is a scene from book 2 in The Daughters of Boston series, A Passion Redeemed, where the hero wants nothing to do with the heroine, but finds his defenses slipping as he helps her do the dishes. I start off in her POV and then switch to his to give the reader the impact of both of the character’s thoughts.

He moistened his lips, then slowly lifted his eyes to hers. “I need this.” His fingers skimmed across the towel on her shoulder, causing the air to still in her throat.

Dear God, what was happening? It was as if he had no control over his hand as it strayed from the towel to the soft curve of her neck. A tilt of her head, the blush of her cheeks, and suddenly he was two different men. One whose every muscle, thought and desire strained toward wanting her. The other, a distant voice of conscience and memory, quickly fading with every throb of his renegade pulse. Curse the effect of the wine! What else could explain this driving insanity pulsing through him right now? His fingers burned as they lingered, slowly tracing to the hollow of her throat. Against his will, he fixated on her lips, lush and full, staggered at the heat they generated. What was he doing? He didn’t want this.

Yes … he did.

All night he’d felt it mounting, a desire in his belly that grew tight at the sound of her laughter, the lift of her chin, the light in her eyes. A woman with cool confidence around everyone but him. Call it the wine. Or the fact he hadn’t been this close to a woman for well over a year. Or the intoxicating awareness that his very presence seemed to unnerve her. Whatever name it bore, it had him by the throat, taking him places he’d vowed he’d never be.

She blinked up at him, eyes wide and wondering. He was taking her by surprise and knew it. But no more so than him. He stared at her lips, feeling the draw and unwilling to fight it. His fingers moved up her throat to gently cup her chin, his eyes burning with intent. Slowly, carefully, he leaned forward, his mouth finally reaching hers, his breathing ragged as he tasted her lips.

A soft mew left her throat, and the sound ignited him. He pulled her close, his mouth demanding hers. She moaned while he pressed her to the counter, holding her there as he deepened the kiss. With a deep groan, his arms swallowed her up, drawing her small frame tightly against his. He pressed his lips to her hair, allowing her scent to flood his senses … to consume him.

Just like before.

His heart seized. What was he doing? The more he touched, the more he wanted. But she had ruined his life. Dashed his hopes. Destroyed his dreams. Dear God in Heaven, he wanted her … but he didn’t want her.

4.) Now I know this will shock some POV purists out there, but I find that POV shifts within a scene are an effective way to escalate tension. To me, there’s something compelling about being inside the hero’s mind, then immediately switching to the heroine’s reaction. Here is a scene from A Passion Denied that relates what the hero is feeling but doesn’t want the heroine to know he is feeling, then switches to reveal the heroine’s reaction. Brady is teaching Lizzie how to fish with a rod and reel.

He put the rod in her right hand, then circled her from behind. He grasped his hands over hers. All at once, the scent of her hair and the nearness of her body distracted him, sending a jolt of heat searing through him. He fought it off, chewing on his lip as he forced himself to concentrate on the casting. “Okay, you hold the rod here, then release the button, then lift the rod like this …” His arm gently guided hers up and out, landing the lure in a perfect cast that rippled across the water.

"I did it!” she cried.

“Yes, you did. Now press the button release again so you don’t lose your line.”

She notched the button and turned, her face flushed a delicate shade of excitement. With a giggle, she threw herself into his arms, almost gouging his eye with her rod as she hugged.
He closed his eyes and swallowed the lump in his throat.

“Oh, Brady, this is so much fun! Can I do it again?” She pulled away and stared up. Her violet eyes brimmed with excitement.

He smiled, and then his gaze dropped to her full lips, forcing the breath to congeal in his lungs. He cleared his throat and stepped back. “Sure, Beth, you try it this time.”

Lizzie blinked, feeling a flutter in her stomach. What on earth just happened? One minute Brady was teaching her how to cast, and the next … She spun around to hide the heat that crept in her face and quickly swallowed her shock, desperate to focus on the rod in her hands.

But his eyes … sweet saints, they’d had the same dreamy quality she’d seen in Michael’s, a kind of half-lidded stare that settled on her mouth, causing her heart to stop. She drew in a ragged breath and steeled her jaw. No! It was nothing more than her imagination, playing cruel tricks on her. “Focus, Lizzie,” she muttered under her breath, squinting at the lake as she swung the rod. The lure plopped into the water with shocking precision. Her lips flattened in grim satisfaction. Good! Maybe I can hook some fish, if nothing else.

5.) And, as with all writing, I find that strong, dramatic verbs are a must to conveying tension of any kind. Whenever I write a tense scene, I literally pour over my literary Bible, The Synonym Finder, by J.A. Rodale, to come up with the most powerful verbs I can. Here is a scene from A Passion Redeemed in which the hero realizes he’s falling for a woman he doesn’t want to fall in love with. Uh, you think he’s ticked?

He wheeled around and bludgeoned his way through the crowd, riling customers on his way out. Outside, the bitter cold assailed him, tinged with the smells of burning peat and the slight whiff of horses. He could hear the faint sound of laughter and singing drifting from the various pubs tucked along the cobblestone road. His anger swelled.

He hurled his car door open and tossed the bottle on the passenger seat. Mumbling under his breath, he rounded the vehicle to rotate the crank, gyrating the lever with such ferocity that it rattled unmercifully. The engine growled to life, its vicious roar rivaling the angst in his gut.

He got in the car and slammed the door, slapping the headlights on with a grunt. With a hard swipe of the steering wheel, he jerked the car away from the curve and exhaled a loud breath.
It was happening again. He was finally past the pain of one sister and now it was beginning with the other. He gunned the vehicle down Lower Abbey Street, nearly hitting a pedestrian who probably wouldn’t have felt a thing, given the near-empty bottle in his hand. He gritted his teeth. That’s what women did to you—drove you to the bottom of a bottle where you drowned in your own liquid travail. He yanked his tie off, loosening his shirt to let the frigid air cool the heat of his anger. Thoughts of Charity suddenly surfaced, and a heat of another kind surged through his body. He swore out loud, the coarse sound foreign to his ears. He turned the corner on a squeal. The bottle careened across the seat and slammed into his leg.

He’d been without a woman way too long. Once, his appetite had been voracious. But Faith had changed all that. Her sincerity, her purity, her honesty. She had ruined him for other women. Since she’d left, he’d had no inclination, no interest. No desire.
Until now.

6.) Finally, for me, the key to writing romantic tension is to FEEL the scene before hand. This happens a lot while I’m on the treadmill listening to worship music. All at once, a dramatic line or action will pop into my head, and before I know it, I’m scribbling a scene down with the pen and paper I keep close by. I think on it, imagine it, plot it in my mind. And when I’m finally writing it, I use everything at my disposal to feel the scene—from personal memories to movies to song lyrics—anything that will help me to intensify my feelings and therefore heighten the drama. Heck, I even keep a hand mirror by my computer to study emotions on my own face, as well as jumping up to enact certain scenes. Although, this has become somewhat awkward since my husband has started his own business and now sits behind me in my home office. Sigh.

So, what do you do to build heat in your romantic tension? Go ahead and tell me ... show me with examples ... because I’ve got the fire department on speed dial and a fire extinguisher close by. And frankly, I’d like to learn a few more tricks for stoking the fire, because as far as I am concerned, when it comes to romantic tension, there’s no such thing as too much heat.
Leave a comment and be entered in a drawing to win a book! Julie will draw a name and offer winner's choice of one of the three books in the series. Please leave contact information with your comment.




Julie Lessman is a new author who has garnered much writing acclaim, including ten Romance Writers of America awards. She resides in Missouri with her husband and their golden retriever, and has two grown children and a daughter-in-law. She is the author of The Daughters of Boston series, which includes A Passion Most Pure, A Passion Redeemed, and A Passion Denied. You can contact Julie through her website at http://www.julielessman.com/.

23 comments:

Chicki said...

Great article! This is one area I have a hard time with in my own writing. Thanks for the instruction.

Chicki said...

I forgot to leave my contact info - chicki663@comcast.net

Donnell said...

Julie, welcome to Five Scribes. What wonderful examples. Your series sound like the books I would cuddle up with and read over and over again. Particularly admired the way you use action verbs to power your writing. Excellent! I'll have to pick up your work. Audra, and Seekerville, you rock, bringing Ms. Lessman to us ;)

Donnell said...

One more comment, and then it's to work. Julie: Do you ever have your editors tone down your sexual tension in your books. What has been your experience writing for the Christian market? Thanks very much.

Audra Harders said...

Good morning, Julie! Chicki and Donnell! Wow, oversleep one morning and the world welcomes my guest : )

You may or may not know, Julie has taken the Inspirational market by storm! Her books encourage discussion (hmm, maybe debate), and evoke emotions that make you want to talk back to the book as you're reading it as if it were a friend or confidant.

Personally, I feel I burn lots of calories while living alongside the lives of the Daughters of Boston : )

What a ride! Jump on!

Okay, how can you entertain properly without food? Stop by the buffet table and help yourselves to fresh, whole-grain bagels, whipped cream cheese and an assortment of bakery fresh danish.

Grab a cup of coffee with your selection of fun creamers, too. Can't start a Monday without it!

sugarandgrits said...

WOW! Julie, I really didn't know what I've been missing ~ your books are definitely going to the top of my TBR stacks! BTW, Awesome interview.

I'm still "stalking" you for #3. LOL

Thank you for another chance,
Lori

sugarandgrits[at]hotmail[dot]com

Anna Dynowski said...

Julie, that was an excellent article. I so enjoyed it. Keep on writing your sexually-tensioned stories--they reflect the true reality of us humans and as readers, we need to be able to identify. That's the reason why God has flawed biblical heros and heroines in the Bible--so we can identify.
God Bless!
Love & Prayers,
Anna
Anna Dynowski
Inspirational Romance Author
to encourage and entertain
annadynowski@yahoo.ca
www.geocities.com/AnnaDynowski

Jennie said...

Wow! What an awesome article. It's great to see that passion is still alive and well and making it into the inspirational market! I really look forward to hearing more about your headway into the "Edgy Christian Fiction" genre. God gave us passion for a reason!

Jennie

Julie Lessman said...

CHICKI!!!! So fun to see you here ... you're gonna win a book yet, you just wait! :)

DONNELL ... thanks SO much for the "warm" welcome to Five Scribes and your kind comments.

As to your question, "Do you ever have your editors tone down your sexual tension in your books," the answer is definitely yes, but shockingly, not much! When I was querying publishers, I actually had two versions of my ms. -- an ABA version for the secular market and a CBA version for the Christian market (less sensuality, no drinking, card playing, Catholicism, etc.). Fortunately for me, my agent inadvertently sent the secular version to my Christian publisher, and to my complete shock, they bought it as is and made almost no changes. They did make a few more revisions on book 2, but barely touched the sensuality in book 3, which is saying something because it is the most romantically tense book of the three. So, it looks like the time has finally come for realistic sexual tension in the CBA ... if I don't get drummed out first, that is! :)

AUDRA, thanks again for giving me this awesome opportunity to be on Five Scribes -- you guys rock!

Grin, LORI, stalk away, my friend -- I want to give you a book just as much as you want to win one, girl, trust me. :)

ANNA, thank you SO very much for your kind encouragement -- it means more to me than I can ever adequately express. Bless you!

Hugs,
Julie

~Ley said...

Nothing like the romantic tension to keep the pages turning! It's great to not have to turn to secular romance just to get that tense feeling of excitement when the hero and heroine look at each other... Passion is all right. It's why God created marriage!

ashley.vanburen[at]gmail[dot]com

Cynthia said...

Thank you for the different examples of showing the romantic tension. I am still learning this in my own writing. It's interesting to read different authors and see how they do this, yet their styles can be so different.
Please enter me in the drawing.
cynthiakchow@earthlink.net

Mary Connealy said...

Hi, Julie. Don't put me int he drawing, I've got my copy, but I needed to stop in anyway and tell you I love your work.

Jessica said...

Dang, your excerpts are sizzling!!! LOL I love them. I agree with shifting pov's upping the tension. I like to do that too.
Great examples and great article!
Enter me please. :-)

Jessica said...

Whoops. My address is:

jessica_nelson7590 AT yahoo DOT com

Audra Harders said...

Julie, love the way you promote excitement in Inspy romance : )

Over the course of your three books, did you find the level of emotion stay the same, go up or down? Did you find writing the other two book as easy and natural as the first?

They all blended so well, it felt like I never broke volumes : )

Julie Lessman said...

JENNIE ... Thanks for your kind comment AND for your encouragement! Good luck in the contest.

ASHLEY ... good job hitting all the blog giveaways, my friend -- you're going to win another book that way!

CYNTHIA, thanks SO much for stopping by and leaving a comment -- I wish you well in the contest.

MARY!!!!!! Always love seeing another Seeker bud here. Thanks, sweetie, for ALL of your incredible support and especially your friendship.

JESSICA, Oh, another POV shifter in our midst -- YEAH!! It is fun to write a scene that way, isn't it?

AUDRA, gosh, thanks, sweetie, for your comment that the books blended so well. The easiest of the three to write was actually book 2, A Passion Redeemed, which I wrote in two months working part-time at my day job. Book 3, was another matter altogether. Made the mistake of reading a book by an amazing author who made me want to puke on my own keyboard when I sat down to write, so I hit the wall on that book. But, I got past it, and some people say it is the best book of the three. (I hope!) :)

Hugs,
Julie

Carmen7351 said...

Not sure if this is just for authors. You really have a handle on romantic enticements.
One I would like to see is tantalizing flirtations. "Wow, what cologne are you wearing? It's my favorite. Definitely fits with what your are wearing." "Talk about what I'm wearing, look at yourself! I've never seen anyone look so delicious in an outfit like yours."

desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

Gina Welborn said...

Once again, an excellent blog post.

:-)

Thanks, Julie, for sharing your passion for passion. As yummy as the finest slice of cheesecake.

Thanks also for giving your readers a clear separation between love and lust.

You've created characters who experience a godly fire between them that edifies a pure, respectful, self-less relationship. Their relationships shine the light on a lustful fire that consumes, belittles, and leaves the participants feeling used, worthless, and unloved.

Courtney said...

Loved the passages from the books.
Would like to win A PASSION DENIED.
These blog interviews are fun to follow :)

courtneylp1323(at)aol(dot)com

Carolynn W. said...

Julie, I love all the different ways you write passion into your books, that's what makes it so difficult to put them down once we've got one in our hands! Can't wait to read "A Passion Denied'...especially after reading all these great excerpts.
Thanks for the chance to win!
carolynnwald[at]hotmail[dot]com

sherrinda said...

Sigh...like Gina W. said, that was yummy! I love reading your excerpts to give me a taste of what I'm getting soon!!! Cannot wait! I think so many women want to read about real desires, because if we are being honest, we all want that kind of heart-thumping romance of our own (and have had it!) So, to get it from a Christian perspective is just the best!
You know I love your God-given talent!!! (I am giving away your first book on my blog this Wednesday if you would like to stop by) :)
Oh, and please don't enter me, as I have her books coming to me!

Julie Lessman said...

CARMEN7351 ... Nope, this is not just for authors today, but all of us writers who love romance. And "tantalizing flirtations"? Mmmm ... sounds good to me ... :)

GINA!!! Bless you, my friend, for stopping by and for your beautiful words:

"You've created characters who experience a godly fire between them that edifies a pure, respectful, self-less relationship. Their relationships shine the light on a lustful fire that consumes, belittles, and leaves the participants feeling used, worthless, and unloved."

Wow ... even I want to read my own books after that endorsement! :) You can sure tell you're a writer, my friend. Can I quote you???

Hey, COURTNEY, good to see you again! Here's hoping that book win comes your way soon ... :)

CAROLYNN!! Gosh, I can't wait till you read Denied, either, my friend -- hopefully the signed winner's version!

Oh, SHERRINDA, thank you, girl!! And, gosh, you should have those books by now! Hopefully tomorrow? And I will definitely stop by on Wednesday -- thanks for the promotion!

Hugs,
Julie

Audra Harders said...

Thank you, Julie for playing with us at the Five Scribes! It has been a pleasure being your hostess. Your words put sizzle into the first day of June : )

Stay tuned everyone! We will be announcing the winner of Julie's book - the winner's choice! - at the end of the week. So if you missed commenting on Julie's post today, you still have a few days to be eligible for the drawing.

For all of you Julie Lessman junkies, you can catch Julie at Melissa's Bookshelf http://www.melissas-bookshelf.com/ all this week.

Thanks Julie! You're awesome!