Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Musical Writing Genius


Last week I enjoyed a father-daughter weekend with my dad at Snowmass, and in the 41 plus years my parents had been coming to the Aspen area, they'd never visited the John Denver Sanctuary. To be fair, the beautiful, peaceful sanctuary was only created in 2000.

John Denver was a gifted creative genius who I've appreciated since I was a teen--long before we moved to Colorado.

He tragically died in a plane crash in 1997 at the young age of 54.

The sanctuary is this lovely park pictured to your left. Visitors meander down a crushed gravel path that winds alongside a shallow crisp river. Lush green slopes contain clusters of huge boulders onto which his many of his famous song lyrics have been carved.

I'm going to wax on here a little bit, so please bear with me.

I am so grateful for the gifts John Denver gave this world, not only because of his musical talents, but also as an environmental activist. He was dedicated to preserving our environment worldwide--not just the mountains he adored. And as with most enormously talented people, it came at a high personal price.

What impressed me most about John, was the genuineness, passion and honesty he brought to us through both the lyrics and the delivery of each of his songs. He and his songs touch my soul in a pure, joyful way. They make me smile. They continue to bring me peace. They move me in way I hope to emulate in my writing.

The sanctuary is the perfect way to honor John Denver. Kudos to whomever thought of it and to those who carried out the vision. I'd love for my actions and creative gifts to inspire and entertain others. I'd love to make that kind of a positive mark on the world.

Hmm. That makes me wonder about the process of song writing. Even though a song is significantly shorter than our shortest chapters, the words of great songs are just so perfect, nothing that wonderful comes without a lot of work. What do you think?


Rest in Peace John Denver. Thank you and we miss you!

2 comments:

Donnell said...

Theresa, eloquently put and wonderful blog. What a service you perform. I had no idea that there was a monument to John Denver in Colorado. Must be one of my duh moments. This sounds like the perfect drive for hubby and me to take. And yes, you're write, John Denver with his fabulous voice and talent was taken from us much too soon.

Leslie Ann said...

Hi T,
I didn't know there was a JD Sanctuary. I still enjoy his songs as well.

I have several friends who write both the music and the lyric and it's not easy. I was trying to do write lyrics for my latest screenplay. NO WAY, it is a learned craft.

ciao
~LA