Friday, August 27, 2010

Zombies on the rise!

I got to spend some time at Comic-Con in San Diego this summer, and though there were a lot of things about it I just didn't enjoy (too many people, not enough nerds), I ran into a lot of stuff I loved.

Like zombie pins. Lots of zombie pins. And a new comic book series to read - The Walking Dead. I'd seen these in the bookstore but hadn't picked it up because we were busy catching up on some other stories, and then I saw the trailer for the AMC TV series based on the comics.

Here's the trailer, which looks phenomenal:



I also sat in on a zombie panel with authors like Max Brooks, Jonathan Mayberry, and Seth Grahame-Smith, the dude who wrote Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - a delightful, funny, personable guy. But -gasp- there were female authors up there, too. I could hardly believe our good fortune at seeing zombie (presumably horror genre) fiction represented by women.

One of those authors, Amelia Beamer, wrote The Loving Dead, in which the zombie affliction is a sexually transmitted disease. A fun read, though not my favorite zombie novel. Another was Mira Grant, author of Feed, which I started reading right before my semester began. I'll see if I can finish it at some point before December. I'd like to - so far, it's awesome.

And then there was Joan Frances Turner, an author whose novel (Dust) has not yet been released. Turner seemed to struggle with being in front of a ginormous audience, but she certainly performed better than I would have. During the weekend, I passed by the Ace/Roc table in the vendor hall and scored several excerpt booklets. Dust was in there. And WOW. Just wow. I absolutely cannot wait for this book's release. It's written from the perspective of a zombie, and it's completely engaging and different and wonderful. I very much look forward to reading it.

When I have some free time, I hope to read all the samplers I got from Ace and Roc during the weekend and report back here. There were a lot of urban fantasy stories, and (though I'm sure it was another publisher's sampler) I even have a booklet full of paranormal romance excerpts. I think we're going to see a fun series of releases in the next year.

6 comments:

Donnell said...

Oh, my gosh, KL. this is my kind of movie. I'm sorry there weren't enough nerds to hang out with you. If I were there, I would have ;) I'm part nerd. At least my kids think so!

Sandy said...

Interesting blog. I couldn't finish the video because it kept stopping and starting.

Afraid I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to Zombies. lol

Keena Kincaid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keena Kincaid said...

Great blog, and the series looks fabulous! The stuff of nightmares!

Mary Marvella said...

Good blog, but I think I'll skip the zombies in book form for now.

Gillian Layne said...

I am trying to keep an open mind about all these zombie books and movies, because so many people love them. Maybe i should start with something concerning Jane Austen...