Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Erotic Author Saving the World One Story at a Time

Hello, Five Scribe Readers: Whether it's a mystery, romantic suspense, a thriller, an erotic tale, I love it all--from spicy to sweet. There are so many ways to tell a story. When I read the following blurb about Author Lia Slater, and read her perspective on things, well, I just had to talk to her. See if you don't agree. Please welcome fellow Coloradoan and author Lia Slater as she promotes her new release, WERE BLOOD.

Lia Slater thinks the world would be a better place if everyone read romance novels. Slater says there's so much to learn from the storylines. Love. Loyalty. Confidence. Passion. Desire. Conflicts would be resolved with happy endings. And of course the sex would be mind-boggling. Lia is well on her way to helping the world become a better place by writing steamy romance with heart pounding emotion.

D.B.: Good morning, Lia. Thanks for being here. First of all, I thought your blurb was adorable. And wouldn't it be cool if all the life lessons and world conflicts could be resolved with happily ever afters? I think you're on to something.

L.S.: Thanks for having me, Donnell! If only everyone read and loved romance novels.

D.B.: You write, hot, steamy. You also create great characters and world building. WERE BLOOD is the third book in a series. It's the story of a werewolf/woman who falls in love with an enemy vampire. These themed novels are incredibly popular. What compelled you to write this series?

L.S. Thank you! I love writing make-believe and that's exactly what the books in this series are -- dark, steamy fairy tales. I'm attracted to paranormal stories, so it only felt natural to include paranormal creatures in this series.

D.B.: I'm always amazed at the different way authors can make vampire legends their own. I thought you did a particularly good job with Worth, the male protagonist in the story. He is a decent guy, not at all like the bloodsuckers who surround him. In Worth's world, he occasionally draws blood from a willing human (He is sexy after all), or he stays out in the sun all day and burns to a crisp. This way, he receives the sun's nutrients to stay alive and immortal, but once he comes in from the sun, he quickly heals. I did wonder if you ever put a time limit on this. What happens if he stays out too long? I'm also curious, what stories influenced you, if any? Talk about what makes you want to write about vampires and then explain how you came up with your own brand on the legend.

L.S.: Great questions. I didn't get too detailed about what happens to Worth if he stays in the sun too long. But he is immortal so I imagine he'd just be in a heck of a lot of pain until he found refuge and allowed himself to heal. The vampires in this book can't be killed by the sun. Just the opposite--the sun provides the nutrients needed to produce blood for them to survive. They just have to endure the physical pain that the sun causes them, which most of them avoid by taking blood from others.

About what stories influenced me? Any and all. I soak it all in. But I do try to give my stories a twist so they're unlike anything out there. About vampires: At first, I hadn't anticipated on writing a vampire as one of my heroes. The series is based on a pack of werewolves. Blanca is one of the females in the pack and when I began brainstorming her story, it felt natural--or unnatural, depending how you look at it--to have the hero as a vampire. With her history, I imagined it would create a ton of conflict.

D.B.: Blanca is your female protagonist. She is a shapeshifting wolf. She's an interesting character, and, Lia, forgive me, when I read your description of her, she had a lot of your physical traits ;) I smiled as I read, and I wondered if you'd written this as an indulgent fantasy. Talk about Blanca's character and the female protagonists in your books. Are they various sizes and shapes, or was this an erroneous assumption on my part? Talk about Blanca's name. It means white, doesn't it? Where did you come up with that and what does the name mean to you? Interesting names for your protags by the way.

L.S.: Did she?! Well, I guess I should say thanks! LOL! I try to give my heroines different physical characteristics. The heroine in WERE SLAVE has black hair with blue eyes, the one in WERE SEDUCTION has brown hair with brown eyes. The heroine in FATAL EXPOSURE has red hair with green eyes (at first). It just so happened tha Blanca has my hair color but with amber eyes. It does seem that most of my heroines are petite or average height, probably because I can relate a little more with the vertically challenged.

As far as indulging in fantasy? Honestly, when I write, I'm writing about the characters, and I take a backseat as they travel through their journey. It would be much, much too personal (for me) to think of myself in these roles. I'm just the hermit writer sitting at my desktop thinking up these crazy ideas. Feel free to ignore me as you read my stories. LOL. About Blanca's name: I know someone who knows someone named Blanca. When I heard the name, I knew I had to use it. Same thing with some of the other names I've chosen. I hear them and I have to use them. Blanca as a Spanish adjective means white. As a noun, it can translate as an old Spanish copper coin, minim, or half note. (I hope I got that right!)

D.B.: Works for me. Both of your protagonists are pretty darn heroic -- well, Blanca does have the foulest mouth I've ever seen, but that eventually fades. They are surrounded by corruption, evil. They are good, albeit mistrusting of one another, because they're enemies. I found myself thinking of Romeo and Juliet. They are so passionate about one another and yet both sides of their worlds are forcing them apart. You really do practice what you preach about much to learn from a romance novel. Are all your themes like this?

L.S..: I find that a common theme I use is survival along with forbidden love. Yes, Blanca does have quite a mouth on her, doesn't she? Sorry about that. She couldn't be contained.

D.B.: One part of the book didn't quite make sense to me, and I hope you'll explain this away. When Blanca fantasizes about Worth, she thinks about having his children. He's immortal, she's of a different species. Do you address this in different books? I'm thinking Biology 101 here, and scratching my head. How is this possible?

L.S.: Blanca is also immortal like the rest of her pack--well, except for a few vulnerabilities. So the couple will live happily ever after, barring any disaster. And I'm sure they'll have cute little pups with sharp fangs. Hey, it could happen! This is one of those times that the reader will have to suspend their disbelief, which happens a lot with paranormal fiction. Maybe I'll give the kids a cameo in the next book. That would be cute.

D.B.: It would! ;) Will you talk about writing for Ellora's Cave? What have you learned from them, what are they primarily looking for, and what would you say to writers who want to pursue a publishing career with them?

L.S.: Ellora's Cave, I believe, wants to see sexy stories that have a great plot with genuine characters. Erotic romance isn't simply sex scene after sex scene with some fluff added here and there to fill the pages. Readers want more than that. The customers are intelligent women (or men) who want their money's worth. So, for anyone who'd like to write for EC, or any other erotic publisher, I suggest letting your inhibitions go (because this is erotic romance!) and writing the best story you can. You can find their submission guidelines here: www.jasminejade.com/t-writerscircle.aspx

D.B.: Will you give us a brief summary about the other books in the series, and what's next for Lia Slater?

L.S.: WERE SLAVE begins the Were Legends series. It's a romance between the werewolf pack leader and the human queen of the country who's captured and imprisoned [by] the pack. WERE SEDUCTION is the second book where the second-in-command of the pack falls in love with a witch who has less than altruistic motives in seducing him. But, nonetheless, can't help falling for him as well. The next story on my agenda would be to finish up the series. I think one more book might do the trick. Side note: Each story can be read as a stand alone!

D.B.:
Thank you so much for the interview, Lia. I think you're onto something. Let me know when you're not busy writing. I'm going to nominate you for political office :) Boy, could our politicians learn something from you!

L.S. Glad to know I have your vote! LOL! Or we could just send them a few romance novels. They might learn something.

Readers: I'd love to give away an eBook copy of WERE BLOOD to one of the readers. Or FATAL EXPOSURE, if you prefer romantic suspense over paranormal. Please let me know which one you'd like in the comment's section. [INTERVIEWER'S NOTE: Be sure to leave e-mail to be entered in the drawing. Names will be drawn on Friday October 22nd.]

JESSICA!!!! IS OUR LUCKY WINNER OF LIA'S SLATER'S WERE BLOOD. CONGRATULATIONS, JESSICA, WE'LL BE IN TOUCH.

26 comments:

Lia Slater said...

Thanks, again, for having me! Sorry it took me all morning to get here. I have a sick kiddo at home. Not fun. But I'm looking forward to chattng with your readers!

Donnell said...

I remember those day,s Lia. I hope your baby is better soon! Thanks for the interview ;)

Misty Evans said...

Hi Lia. I'm vertically challenged, so I like that your characters are on the average to short side of things as well!

Do you have plans to write future paranormal series that don't have werewolves and vamps? If so, what kind of creatures will they have?

Great interview, gals! I hope Lia will come back again and discuss her romantic suspense!

Lia Slater said...

Thanks, Donnell. He's on antibiotics. Should be up and about soon, I'm sure. :-)

Mary Marvella said...

Great job, Donnell! Sounds wonderfully sexy, Liz. Sorry about the sick kiddo. Many sales to you.

Lia Slater said...

Hi Misty,

Always nice to meet someone who I can see eye-to-eye with. Literally. :-)

After I finish up this series, I think I might want to write another romantic suspense, actually. Maybe a follow-up for one of my secondary characters in Fatal Exposure. I would love to do that. As far as paranormal romance...I'm not sure where my muse would lead me.

Thanks for commenting!

Lia Slater said...

Thanks, Mary!

*yadkny* said...

Hi Lia!
I love how your character traits for each of your heroines is different from book to book and who doesn't love a great story about survival and forbidden love?... I know I do! I gotta go back and start with book 1 of the Were Legends series.

*If I win, I would love a copy of Were Blood:)
yadkny@hotmail.com

Lia Slater said...

Hi yadkny!

Forbidden love. I love it too! In fiction, of course. Real life, not so much. :) Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy the series. And good luck in the drawing!

Helen Hardt said...

I love it -- I'm tall, so my heroines usually are too! Interesting how we bring ourselves into our work. Lia and Donnell, good to see you both!

Gillian Layne said...

Lia, I adore paranormal, so your book sounds wonderful. I think the more conflict between the hero and heroine, the better, so you've done a bang-up job of it. :)

Have you always written paranormals?

Lia Slater said...

Hey Helen!

It is interesting, isn't it? And, yes, you are one tall woman. And gorgeous!

Thanks for stopping by!

Lia Slater said...

Hi Gillian,

Not always. I also write romantic suspense and contemporary. I'm a fan of it all but, just like you, I love paranormal.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Cathy M said...

Hi Lia,

EC got me hooked on erotic romance, and my favorites always give me both a great story, a connection with the characters, and sexual chemistry that sizzles off the page.

I am loving your Were Legends series, and have Fatal Exposure already up on my wish list, so that one would be my pick.

Lia Slater said...

Hi Cathy!

I'm so glad you're enjoying the series so far! Good luck in the drawing! I believe I still have your email address in my inbox. :-)

Donnell said...

Hi, everybody, interesting phenomenon about our heroine size, huh? Mine are generally taller than me, but in my mystery I'm making up for it. I have a tall protag and petite protag, and they'll foil murders together ;)

Liz Lipperman said...

Great interview, Lia and Donnell. Although I don't read or write dark paranormal, I am fascinated at the world building that goes on in these stories. Yours sound especially intriguing. You could make a believer out of me!!

Should I win, I'd love to look at your RS. (I talk big but my love is mystery/suspense.)

Lia Slater said...

Donnell, I tried to write a tall heroine into one of my earlier books (that will never be published) and I kept forgetting that she was tall. I had her looking up at people. LOL! I should try it again. I do love reading about taller heroines!!

Lia Slater said...

Hi Liz,

Sounds good to me! The RS, it is. You might find it funny that although I love paranormal, it's not my first choice of reading material. I love, love, love contemporary romance.

flchen1 said...

Hi, Lia! Thanks for your interview--it's always a treat to learn more about an author! Your writing's new to me, but I like the sounds of your latest releases and will definitely be adding to my TBB! And as a more petite person myself, I appreciate heroines who share that viewpoint :)

Looking forward to catching up on your Were series!

Hope your little one's feeling better soon, and take care of yourself, too--it's hardest being the mom!

f dot chen at comcast dot net

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Lia,
Nice interview. Were Wolves sound fascinating. Wish I could write about them.

Regards

Margaret

Lia Slater said...

Hi flchnen1!

I hope you enjoy the series. And thanks so much for the well wishes! Good luck in the drawing.

Lia Slater said...

Thanks, Margaret!! Glad you stopped by.

jessica said...

Wow. . I like how to told us about the vampires and the sun. I also like how you get the names of the characters. Have you ever used friends names or just ones that you hear?

If I won one of your books, I'd really like Were Blood.

jessangil@gmail.com

Lia Slater said...

Hi Jessica,

Great question. No, I only use names of people I don't know personally, just in passing. Funny thing--I just stole the last name of one of the politicians who has his name plastered all over the city. I plan to use it in my next book. Is that wrong? LOL! It called to me. Must use it! Maybe I should vote for him now. :-)

Good luck in the drawing!

Lia Slater said...

Congrats, Jessica! I'll send you your copy shortly. Hope you enjoy.