Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Susan Schreyer's Debut Novel, Death by a Dark Horse

Welcome to Five Scribes and to my most recent Author Interview. Today I have the pleasure of interviewing Susan Schreyer, one of my “sisters” in Sisters in Crime, in particularly The Guppy chapter, a fabulous group that prepares SINC members for publication. Susan’s new book DEATH BY A DARK HORSE is now available for download on Amazon and Smashwords. And, ladies and gentlemen, if you’re into mysteries, dressage riding, or love horses in general, PICK UP THIS BOOK!! Please welcome Susan Schreyer to the Five Scribes.

D.B.: Good morning, Susan. I must tell you as someone who knows next to nothing about horses, your story was a fun way to become educated. But… I’m not particularly happy with you. I mean…a person being accused of murder and facing the death penalty is one thing. But an innocent horse? Talk about making your reader flip pages. What have you got to say for yourself?


S.S.: [laughs] Maybe I should say, "Bwaahahahaha!" Seriously, way back when I was plotting this story I knew I had to use situations that would infuriate a horse owner, and cause them a great deal of distress in order to have sufficient conflict to drive a reader to turn the page. Having my horse stolen and then being accused of murder would do it for me! I certainly would be compelled to action similarly to my heroine Thea (except I'd don't think I'd be as brave!).


D.B.: Your protagonist is the order-driven accountant Theodora Campbell “Thea,” and she’s a force to be reckoned with. She shows up to ride her beloved Blackie, and the thoroughbred is no where to be found. After a grueling, worrisome search, she finds him--where else--on the property of her rival. Valerie has made several offers for the horse and made no secret she would love to own him. But Thea, who loves this horse desperately, has told the Olympic champion, he’s not for sale.


Intrigued yet? Just to give Five Scribe readers a sample of what Susan put me through, read on.


“Has the horse been injured or abused in any way?" she asked.

"Not that I can tell right now, but I haven't had a chance to thoroughly check him." I reached the gate, my attention divided between managing the latch and the phone call. "I'm --" I stopped. Something was wrong. Where was Blackie?

The wind shifted, blowing my hair across my eyes. With my hands otherwise occupied, I turned my face into the breeze to clear my vision and inhaled a stench so dense it had weight.

A thousand spiders crawled up my spine.


D.B.: Now, FS Readers, before you panic, it’s not Blackie, the victim is Valerie, and here’s where a mystery lover’s dream comes true. We have a murder, substantial clues, and a suspect. Unfortunately, the prime suspect is the Black Queen's Bishop, aka "Blackie." I imagine you had a lot of fun, and endured some heartbreaking moments to write this plot, Susan. Your love of horses shows through on the pages. Talk about what inspired this story.


S.S.: Several years ago when I semi-retired from my full time teaching and training career to home school my son I found myself with time on my hands and no creative outlet. I've enjoyed writing all my life and toyed with the idea of writing a mystery novel, so I decided to see if I could do it. Bear in mind I've taught riding, primarily dressage, for about 30 years, so not only have I've owned and loved many horses but I've seen first hand how much other people love them, too. As with anything you love passionately, the flip side is heartbreak. I drew from both extremes, my own experience, and what I've been privileged to be part of to put the story together.


D.B.: You start this book so richly developed and thrust your reader into Thea’s chaotic world. I know from your bio that DEATH BY A DARK HORSE is a series. But if readers start with one, will your books be able to stand alone? Also, please tell us what plans you have for your protagonist Theodora Campbell.


S.S.: All the Thea Campbell books will be able to stand alone, but the reader will get a better perspective of the way the characters develop if the stories are read in order. Thea has some changes coming up in her life -- and they won't be easy even with her family and friends around! She'll develop her mystery/crime solving skills, and get a partner who will keep challenging her. A nemesis will come into play, as well. Some of the books will have less focus on the horse world than others, but I can guarantee Blackie will be there and help in his own special way.


D.B.: Speaking of Thea, How did she come to be? How close is she in personality to Susan Schreyer and how is she different?


S.S.: There is much of me in Thea, but one could say that of all the characters. In any novel the author creates each character from their own experiences and understanding. However, even as one creates a character they take on their own personality -- their own will! I knew my protagonist had to be a dressage rider, like me, so I could use the passion I feel for the sport and the animals. But once she arrived on the page she took charge of her own life. At times I felt as if I was simply trailing along behind her, writing down what she said, and what happened. I think most authors experience this with their characters. It's an amazing experience -- and we claim not to be crazy!


D.B.: As I said, I learned a lot of about horses. I don’t think I’ve ever read a book in which the horse fascinated me as much as the human characters. Again, I refuse to spoil this book for readers, but, this is one smart horse. And I think it’s hysterical that Blackie isn’t even black. Is Blackie one of your horses, Susan, or is he a combination of many?


S.S.: I've owned many horses. Each has a distinct personality, and all have contributed to Blackie in their own way. But Blackie is primarily modeled after my horse Eddie. One of the things I wanted to do in this book was to create an animal character that wasn't simply part of the scenery. I love it when an author can convey the personality of an animal and the special relationship they have with their person. After all, our animals help shape who we are in real life and connect with us in ways that defy explanation. That needs to happen in fiction, too.


D.B: You create some fabulous characters in this book. Without giving too much away, we have Thea’s spurned-lawyer-boyfriend Jonathan, who after publicly rejecting him, Thea must ask him for help; the murder victim’s fiancé, Greg, who is none to pleased with Thea and wants Blackie put down; then there’s Thea’s wonderful British Aunt and Uncle, Vi and Henry, who love Thea, but have a secret of their own; and, of course, Paul Hudson, who forgive Interviewer intrusion, she wouldn’t mind meeting;). I found them extremely three-dimensional.


Discuss if you will how you keep track of characters, their quirks and their growth. Are you a chart keeper, or are you a muse writer?


SS: I started out as a muse writer, then tried to be a chart keeper, and have currently settled on being a "structured muse-er." I have detailed personality profiles of everyone -- I feel like the FBI! However, I don't refer to them often. Once I get to know a character they tell me what they're going to do and how they will grow. Gee, funny you should bring up Paul J! He's complex and it took me a while to understand him. He challenges Thea, and their relationship is going to force both of them to grow as individuals. Sparks will fly -- count on it! Oops! Did I say too much?


D.B.: Possibly. But thanks for the heads up;). The story takes place in Snohomish, Washington, an actual place and in a perfect Washington setting. You mention several places in your story, including Bernards. Is Snohomish where you’re from? And if so, are the locals excited about your book and being mentioned?


S.S.: I don't live in Snohomish, but very close by. Although I don't use real business names in the book, and locations are somewhat vague, locals will know what I'm talking about. Folks here DO love having their town as the setting for a mystery novel!


D.B.: Thea is a very savvy woman and I love how she puts two and two together, while in a random conversation with her aunt and uncle. Mystery writing is not for novice writers. What kind of law enforcement research/training have you gone through to write this book?


S.S.: Oh dear…the "reveals all" question! I don't suppose I can get away with saying everything I know about law enforcement I learned on TV can I? No? Okay, then. Here it is: I was married to a police officer for about eight years and actually got to go on "ride-alongs" with him. It's a different world! I also have the great fortune to belong to Sisters in Crime and the Guppies chapter of SinC. There's an enormous depth of information to be had in those groups. Many members are law enforcement professionals, medical professionals, legal professionals -- basically, if you've got a question there isn't one person who knows the answer, there are scores! And they're writers as well!


D.B.: The writing is beautiful as well. You deftly use body language and subtext to tell this story. In other words, you ground us in well. How long have you been writing and what kinds of craft courses have helped you?


S.S. Thank you, Donnell! I've taken fiction writing seriously now for about six years. When I started I was determined to learn as much as I could from the people who were already successful, instead of trying to tough it out on my own. I joined a local writing group, Sisters in Crime and then Guppies, all of which were and continue to be wonderful. I've taken many courses, read scads of writing books and listened to legions people. There's an enormous amount of information to be gathered, and eventually some of it started to stick. My general rules have been to seek out the experts, ask questions, and pay attention. If something resonates, use it. If I don't understand it, forget it for now. If something or someone makes me feel bad or discouraged, walk away.


D.B.: Finally, you decided to self-publish what, in my opinion, can stand up to any published book out there. Will you tell readers why you made that decision? And then will you tell us about the cover art and the brilliant artist who designed your cover?


S.S: And thank you again, Donnell! To answer your question, there were a number of things that drove my decision to self-publish. I wrote two very lengthy blogs about it on Writing Horses in September. Briefly, I'd been going through traditional channels for some time but after reevaluating my personal goals and taking a hard look at the changes the publishing world was going through -- as is STILL going through -- I decided I needed to be the one driving my career. It's a personal choice, and the right one for me. There are many options available for getting one's work into the hands of readers now, and I expect there will be many more new and exciting paths opening up in the future. However revolutionary the publishing industry is becoming, it still is wise to take the steps necessary to produce the best work you can by getting good editing and good help.


Part of that good help is having an eye-catching cover. It was something that I could not do myself. I had no ideas and no skills! Tracy Hayes is a fellow member of Guppies and an artist as well I'd seen her website, http://pastiche-studios.com and had fallen in love with her work and her incredible range. Tracy is also a horsewoman. How lucky could I get? I sucked up my courage and asked her if she'd help me and she generously agreed. She read my manuscript and kept me involved in the cover-creating process. I'm very lucky to have her on my team.


D.B.: Congratulations on an amazing debut mystery, which I enjoyed immensely. Readers, if you would like to follow Susan she has an award-winning blog, http://thingsilearnedfrommyhorse.blogspot.com/ and another on http://writinghorses.blogspot.com/


S.S.: Thanks so much for having me Donnell! This was fun!


D.B.: For me, too, Susan. Come back when LEVELS OF DECEPTION is out ;) Readers, do you have any questions or comments for Susan. Her book is very affordable on Amazon or Smashwords. I know you’ll enjoy it.


About Susan: Susan Schreyer lives in the great state of Washington with her husband, two children, a demanding old cat and an untrustworthy rabbit. The horse lives within easy driving distance. When not writing stories about people in the next town being murdered, articles for worthy publications, or blogging, Susan trains horses and teaches people how to ride them. She is a member of the Guppies Chapter of Sisters in Crime where she serves as a member of the steering committee, and is co-president of the Puget Sound Chapter of SinC. Death By A Dark Horse is her debut mystery. The second book in the Thea Campbell series, Levels of Deception will be out in early spring of 2011.


19 comments:

L.C. Evans said...

Very nice interview. I love horse mysteries and I've put this book on my list.

L.C. Evans said...

Very nice interview. I love horse mysteries and I've put this book on my list.

Misty Evans said...

Congrats on your new release, Susan! It sounds like an intriguing mystery and I love stories with animals in them, so I look forward to reading it. Do your family and friends see you in Thea?

Angi Morgan said...

Wonderful interview, Donnell.
Congrats on your release, Susan...sounds like a great story and a great job developing and writing it.

~~Angi

E. B. Davis said...

Now that the book is out, I'll have to run by Smashword's and pick up a copy to download in pdf.

Mary Marvella said...

Great interview, Donnell. You and Susan make a good team.

Susan, your book sounds wonderful and I believe it will sell well.

Ann Charles said...

Donnell--Great interview questions! You hit on topics that led really to interesting answers.

Susan--You have written a fun, exciting, page-turning, great story. I read it all in one sitting, and I have to toddlers running around, screaming and yelling, so that says something for me. I'm very excited to read the second book in the series and learn more about all of the characters in your first book.

Ann Charles

Joyce Yarrow said...

Terrific interview offering much insight into the book and the author. I eagerly look forward to reading Death by a Dark Horse!

Edie Ramer said...

Susan, I'm reading your book in between working on my my stuff, and it's very good. Though I don't know much about horses, I love stories with animals in them. And I'm a mystery reader from way back, so this is just my style.

amberscottproject said...

What a great interview! Congratulations on diving into the Indie waters, Susan. I think your work will really stand out!
:}Amber Scott

Susan M. Boyer said...

Donnell, great interview! Susan, I'm eager to get started reading. :) I'm so excited for you--congratulations!

Amy Atwell said...

I've long been a Dick Francis fan, and this series sounds right up my alley. Thanks for a great interview.

Joe Massucco said...

Great interview, Susan. Can an appearance on the Today show be far behind?

Dale Mayer said...

Hi Donnell and Susan - great interview! I love stories where the animals steal the show! And horses, sigh, they never go amiss.

Congrats on your release! Exciting times!

Dale

Susan Schreyer said...

L.C. - Thank you so much! Enjoy the story!

Misty - Thank you! I think my family see a little of me in Thea, especially the love for horses. But she's far braver than me!

Angi -- thank you!

E.B. --Thank you! I'm so glad Smashwords provides a pdf version.


Mary -- thank you!

Ann -- LOL!! Grabbed your attention, huh? Good to know! Thanks!

Joyce -- Thank you!

Edie -- Thank you! I've read your book Catitude and thoroughly enjoyed it. So happy you're enjoying mine!

Amber - Thank you!

Susan - Thank you!

Amy -- hope you enjoy it!

Joe -- the Today Show, huh? Uh, oh. I'm going to have to wear something other than my "author jammies"!!

Liz Lipperman said...

Susan and Donnell - great interview. I also don't know much about horses, but I love reading about them.

Add a mystery to it, and I'm there. I'll definitely give this a read.

Barbara Monajem said...

What a lovely interview. I'm in awe of horses and adore them -- but only from a distance. Years ago, I went and visited a friend who had this beautiful rapport with her horse, and I must say I envied it... Sigh.
Your mystery sounds great, and I'm originally from the west coast, so I'll probably get all homesick reading it. It's a good kind of homesick, though, so I'm looking forward to it! :~)

Maggie Toussaint said...

Susan,

I enjoyed learning about your writing journey and your debut release.

One of my books featured horses and I donated the proceeds to a horse rescue facility, so I am a sympathetic audience!

Best wishes,

Maggie Toussaint
a fellow Guppy

Leslie Ann said...

Susan, Congrats on such a great story. And best of luck with your career.

Donnell, will you interview Susan again and see how she's feeling about the self publishing route.

As you all know, I too am going this route and find all information a great help and also encouraging...it can be done.

Best of luck, I can't wait for follow up books.

Oh....D, can you do a blog on Sisters in Crime? I'd love to know more about them.

~LA of the Scribes