Friday, December 17, 2010

End of the Road

I know I've been MIA, and I apologize. It seems the addition of a letter to my degree meant a time vacuum would form in my life. I've had less time than I've had time obligated, and I'm pretty sure this means I've missed a few potty breaks.


But it's over! I have officially passed all my classes, have received passes from my thesis advisers, and am on the schedule at January's residency to present my thesis. Zoinks! I'm nearly done, so close the speck of light at the end of the tunnel now looks more like an oncoming train.

I have to say, as much as I loved this program, I'm relieved. I've been doing this for three years now, longer than anticipated because of the shift to the better degree, and the last year especially has been quite a challenge. It's all been worth it, though. And even though I'm already quaking at the thought of standing in front of my peers and faculty to read from my thesis, I'm also ready to pass out.

It's the end of the road, but at the same time, the book's life is just beginning. I've just turned in the first round of edits based on discussion (namely about expanding the book into a series), and I know I'll have significant changes to make to it once my editor has made a pass through it. When I put my thesis into stasis at the library before I graduate, it'll be the end of the road in academia...for now. One day, I'd like to get my PhD. But shhhh. Don't tell my husband about this brilliant plan. School loans come due next month. ;)

I'm starting to think publishing is this big spiral of joy and omg edits are due and excitement and omg I have writer's block. School just primed that pump.

4 comments:

Donnell said...

Oh, KL. Your post gave me goosebumps. You have worked so hard to get your masters in creative fiction. A PhD??? We would have to call you Dr. Grady. Congratulations on all your successes and also for the sale of your book. I would love to hear a blurb about it. I take it it's an urban fantasy that you're making into a series. Inquiring minds want to know. Fess up!!! Edits are the next level, I'm doing them as well and they are an interesting process.

It's amazing how much an editor cam improve a book. Do you agree?

Theresa said...

KL,
I am SO proud of you--and, to be honest, feeling like an unambitious slacker in comparison--but mostly crazy proud of you!
Great job! So now do you have time to play??? Doesn't sound like it. I'm worried you've gotten used to this manic pace. You need to learn how to kick back and enjoy life and PLAY some now!!

Leslie Ann said...

Darlin' Heart,
We have missed you, but knew you were one uber busy lady.

Congrats! HUGE congrats, the sale, the letters behind your name...what is it MFA? And managing kidlets and a move and a military DH.

I want pix at graduation.

Sleep, I know you can't rest, but take a breather.

xoxo
LA

Gillian Layne said...

Well, huge congratulations to you! I understand completely. Thought I was going to pass out when I had to do my oral comprehension exams with eight of my professors. (like a million years ago..)

Enjoy your holiday! :)