Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I'M BACCCCCCKKKKK

Or the Return of the "Writer Leslie."

Where had I gone, you ask.  Ask!  I know you care :)

I had gone to HTML land.  A land of curious rules, where strict adherence to those rules was the only way to get through the maze that led to the golden prize.  The coveted A.

Why you ask?  Well that is the beginning and the end of the journey.

I love designing websites.  I love designing digital scrapbook pages and working in Photoshop with textures and colors and all the pretty cool things you can do with programs like PS and Dreamweaver and Flash and......

I knew I couldn't stay in my part time job forever, it was sucking me dry...dessicatedly dry.  So I thought I would try and add a website design business to my already crammed life. 

About a month ago, after weeks and weeks of 20 + hours of homework (yes, for a 3 credit class) and knowing I had 27 more credits of this kind of intensity to get my certificate, fate smiled on me.  My best buddy Audra and fellow scribe, chatted with me over coffee about writing, or my lack thereof.  She knew I loved designing websites, I did hers, and yet she knew I wasn't totally happy.

Then a few minutes after I left Audra, my bro called me on the cell phone (he NEVER calls me on the cell phone) and asked how my writing was coming and did I know about Script Frenzy?

THEN the next day, T, another faithful friend and fellow scribe, asked how my non-writing was making me feel as we sat in Panera for lunch.

I drove home slowly (I never drive slow) and realized I was miserable.

I went straight to my husband's home office and said we needed to talk.  RIGHT NOW.  That kinda shocked him.

I told him I still wanted to design websites, but not for a living.  I wanted to write, to go back to writing.

Dead silence.

Then a huge smile broke out and he basically said "Terrific, Finally and Thank God" or something along those lines.  He reminded me that I'd been writing for so long and loved it too much and have too much going for me to suddenly move into a new career. 

I burst into tears. 

I'd forgotten, after telling everyone else, that there are new horizons for us writers to sell our work, to find an audience a market.  I hadn't listened to my own words or taken my advice.

Doing what we love, be it full time, part time or minute-by-minute time is important to our well being.  I'm not trying to be "granola" here, or Pollyanna.  But time moves swiftly and we have to be happy and productive, have something to look forward to, someone to love and something to do.

So, I've given myself a year at my PT job, then I'm done!  Yes, really.  I have to find health insurance and a few other things, but most of all I can WRITE and know deep in my heart that I'm doing the right thing and I'm on the right path.

So listen to your heart and find a way to make it happen.

Ciao
~Leslie Ann aka LA aka "Leslie the Writer"

13 comments:

Donnell said...

Oh, L.A., Leslie Ann and aka the Writer! Welcome back, and I'm soooo excited for you. Why didn't I know this about you that your were a HTML, website guru. And I know you have other big plans in store, so I'll be watching you like a nonpredatory hawk.... Like how I slipped that in! I've missed you!!!

Theresa said...

Leslie,
SO GlAD to hear the joy in your voice again! It's hard to choose what to do when you're so talented at so many things, my friend.

The thing I have to periodically remind myself-- is that it's the journey that has to be fun--'cause the brass ring might be great, but it too has it's own aggravations and miseries.

I can't really say, since I'm not yet published, but the real gift writing has brought me is the wonderful friends I've made through the years of writing.

The joy in learning. The writing retreats. The conferences. The trips to both. The amazing people and wonderful friends. Those memories speak of time well spent. Time and people I cherish.

So glad you've found your way back to happy!

Leslie Ann said...

D!
I think I'll blog about the journey I'm now making, good and bad. I hope it can inspire, not SCARE people away.

You are an awesome slipper-in'er.

xo
LA

Leslie Ann said...

T! My friend, you are so sweet to say I'm talented at many things...it is hard to choose, and then to choose wisely.

Pressure is off, I'm officially writing for me, meaning my stories will all be from my heart. I'm excited.

You're right. The journey is the key...something we all need to remember.

xo
LA

Donnell said...

Darn Blogger, wiped out all the comments. L.A. Leslie Ann, and my writer friend, I'm deleted your back. I also know you have something special in store for us in the future. Delighted you've set such goals for yourself.

And, I never new you were an HTML, website guru. I need to hear more.

Now .... comment stay! :) Hugs, L.A.

Theresa said...

Leslie,
SO GlAD to hear the joy in your voice again! It's hard to choose what to do when you're so talented at so many things, my friend.

The thing I have to periodically remind myself-- is that it's the journey that has to be fun--'cause the brass ring might be great, but it too has it's own aggravations and miseries.

I can't really say, since I'm not yet published, but the real gift writing has brought me is the wonderful friends I've made through the years of writing.

The joy in learning. The writing retreats. The conferences. The trips to both. The amazing people and wonderful friends. Those memories speak of time well spent. Time and people I cherish.

So glad you've found your way back to happy!

Leslie Ann said...

D!
I think I'll blog about the journey I'm now making, good and bad. I hope it can inspire, not SCARE people away.


xo
LA

Leslie Ann said...

T! My friend, you are so sweet to say I'm talented at many things...it is hard to choose, and then to choose wisely.

Pressure is off, I'm officially writing for me, meaning my stories will all be from my heart. I'm excited.

You're right. The journey is the key...something we all need to remember.

xo
LA

Ellis Vidler said...

Designing websites and writing sounds like a great life. There seems to be lots of demand for website designers--couldn't that be a part-time job you'd enjoy? Good luck, whatever you do.

Rebecca Dru said...

I'M GLAAAAAAADDDDDD to hear that!!!! <3

Leslie Ann said...

Wow, now the comments are back. Weird.

Ellis, thank you for the good wishes. I can do Web designing on a PT basis, but I want to make sure it doesn't interfere with my writing. I tend to want to do-all and be-all and I know I must prioritize.

There are exciting opportunities out there, and I'm ready to grab ahold and see where I go. If I can do both well, I will! (And still have a life) :)

ciao
~LA

Donnell said...

I'm so glad the comments are back, because the second comment to my first comment didn't make any sense. Ya know???? :) Hugs, LA.

Neringa said...

Growth is a strange animal... it has to take a few different paths sometimes in order to find the right road...
But I've also learned that a few detours helped tighten my goal for what's right for me.

Continue your wonderful journey, L.A.

Neringa