Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Best, Greenest Revision System

Those of you into recycling and saving trees are going to love this. Hmm. maybe I'm behind the times and it's the way many of you already do your revisions, but I was tickled to death and thought myself quite brilliant to think of this new set-up to facilitate revisions.



Now I'm certainly NOT a techy--my family would laugh rather heartily--embarrassingly so, pee-your pants hard--that anyone would think me tech savvy, however, when faced with some wonderful, extensive revision feedback . . . it occurred to me that instead of printing out the pages of suggestions or flipping between open screens , that it'd save lots of paper, money and aggravation if I could just display the listed edits on one computer screen while I made the changes on my lap top.


And it so happened that we had this cute little monitor sitting abandoned in our basement waiting to be loved. So I resurrected said monitor, gave her a thorough dusting off and made a run to the Mac store to get appropriate connections--after my darling husband spent a little time researching my needs and cursing Mac creators--before enlightening me as to exactly what I should request.



Contrary to John's pessimistic thoughts, setting her up was really quite simple--even I could do it with the Mac genius's few pointers, and voila, I have a terrific set up to allow me to easily make my changes. I highlight the more extensive edits and strikethrough the completed line edits and simpler modifications. I love it!

Take a look. What do you think?

12 comments:

Donnell said...

I think it's quite innovative, and not only is it green, the fact that you had another modem hanging around and spent $15 to hook it up, you are brilliant, T. A ream of paper costs anywhere from $4 to $6 so, if you should revise or print out two more books you've already recouped your expense. Well done!

Abby said...

That is a brilliant idea! So much easier than having to mess with all that paper! I will have to give this a try :)

Theresa said...

Thanks, Donnell.
However it's not a "modem", but rather a "monitor". Now that there are no kids at home, we don't need their computer and monitor. John's thrilled to have one less computer to maintain and I found a good use for the monitor--though I must confess I feel kind of important being surrounded by all that techy stuff.

Donnell said...

Sorry senior moment, I mean monitor :)

Karen Duvall said...

Very interesting set up, though I'm confused as to why you can't open both documents on the same computer and move back & forth between them.

The last book i wrote never saw an ounce of ink. I never print anything anymore unless it's a recipe i get online. Ha! :)

kakiwarner said...

You're brilliant, T. But we knew that already. Shows how ready you are for the pressures of the pub world. How are your revisions going?

And congratulations again for finaling in the CG Contest. This is going to be a great month for you--I can tell.

Theresa said...

Abby, it is easier that dealing with printed revisions and surprisingly took me no time at all to get used to using it this way.
Hi Karen, I can open both documents on the same computer, but I find it a bit of a pain moving back and forth between them. This way I have no need to move between them. I leave the edit notes document on the extra screen to my left, and refer to it only as I need to while doing the revision. Thanks Kaki--occasionally I surprise myself with flashes of genius. Okay so, the flashes are usually as rare as lightening strikes, but I'm still grateful. I don't WANT the pressures of pub world--DON'T even say that! I'll take the pub world without the side order of pressures--please. Revisions are going beautifully. You know I LOVE revising. I'm happy as a clam--are clams really happy? How would one know? That's a stupid cliche' strike that.

Victoria Dixon said...

Brilliant. I may have to try this. Of course, the terrifying thing is, this might justify (in my husband's packrat mind) his vast collection of unused computer parts. I'll have to think that one through....

Theresa said...

Victoria, your husband is going to save that stuff no matter what, you might as well try making use of something.

Ron at CM said...

Way cool, T.

Marne Ann said...

T.
I'm a bit of a slow-comer to the discussion, but this is a great idea. Question from a total non-techie (I suck the intelligence from computers on a regular basis)...
When you want to take your laptop, say to the coffee shop to write, can you just unhook one simple thing? Or is it more detailed than that?
I'm so borrowing this idea from you, btw... (if it's easy to disconnect).
Thanks

Theresa said...

Hi Marne,
Yup, when I travel with my laptop, I just unplug the extra monitor, just like I unplug my external hard drive or thumb drive. Piece. Of. Cake!
Borrow away.