Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Indy Authors: Getting the word out about your books

Edie Ramer ran the gamut of winning prestigious contests to being an American Title Finalist. She's had four agents, and did her best to fit into the mold that was New York publishing. Until finally she thought, what for? Edie was one of the first authors to stick her toe into the self-publishing waters when Amazon and Smashwords created the option. She did so fearlessly and hasn't looked back. Is it tough? Sure it is. But if you look at the last time she visited Five Scribes, http://tinyurl.com/3wsdxrs she admitted she hadn't gotten into Indie publishing for the short haul. Today Edie's dropped by to share some advice for those considering or already involved in Indie publishing for boosting sales.

Take it away, Edie.


Getting the word out about your $0.99 & $2.99 eBooks


A friend emailed me for advice. She’s an indie author and one of her books isn’t selling very well. She plans to redo the description, but she’s also considering lowering the price to $0.99 for a month. She wanted to know how to let people know the book is on sale. Of course she plans to post on Facebook and Twitter, but most of her twitter followers are writers, and she wants to reach readers.


That was an interesting question. I’d lowered the price of two of my books as an experiment. CATTITUDE last December, and DEAD PEOPLE in February, I believe. I know I tweeted about it. I might have mentioned it on Facebook, but I’m not sure.


Since then, I thought I’ve seen mention of places for 99-cent books on Facebook and Twitter. So I went to Facebook and found these sites:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/99-Cent-Romances/251929841492651


http://www.facebook.com/pages/99-Cent-Network/123755871041942 This one seems to be an offshoot of the previous link and appears fairly new.


http://www.facebook.com/99ebookdeal


http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cheap-e-Reads/163454373711210 This is for Barnes &

Noble books. It also has books posted that are $1.99 and $2.99.


On the Internet:


· Daily Cheap Reads will feature your book without charge. Their feature of my paranormal romance DEAD PEOPLE catapulted it to the top 10 bestselling lists of 3 Kindle categories for about 3 months. They have a long waiting list and it will take 2 to 3 months after you send your request on their Your Two Cents Worth page to get on the site.


· Kindle on the Cheap appears to be new. They don’t charge for a feature. By the time you read this, I’ll have contacted them about GALAXY GIRLS, my recently published sci fi romance, which is $2.99.


· The Frugal eReader has different categories, including Finds under $1, Finds under $5, Finds under $9, and much more. They even feature free books. They charge, but the price seems reasonable. Some might even say frugal. You can read about it here.


· Pixels of Ink charges. I bought a feature for one of my books, and made less in sales than it cost me. However, I don’t know how many people read my book and then went on to buy one of my other books. I haven’t paid for promo anywhere since. Someone else might have had a better experience.


· Kindle Nation. On a blog last Dec., J.A. Konrath wrote, “I can testify that appearing on Kindle Nation has helped boost my sales.” But a couple friends have advertised with Kindle Nation, and they didn’t feel they got their money’s worth.


Twitter has hashtags for #99cents and #99centbooks. Most writers use the first, and that’s what I would stick to.


My problem with using Twitter for promo is that your tweet is easily visible for just a short space of time. Unless a lot of friends retweet your tweet, it gets lost. Constantly repeating promo will annoy your followers, but I’ve thought of something my friend can try. We belong to 2 large Yahoo writers groups that have set up a separate Yahoo group for members to use for promotion. One group is an RWA chapter; the other is for indie authors, though quite a few also publish traditionally. On the promo loop for the second group, we set aside Sundays for mentioning books we’d like tagged and liked, which is working out well.


I suggested to my friend that she mention the tweet announcing her 99-cent sale price on the promo loop of both groups, and ask them to retweet. To make it easy, she should include her Twitter link. It won’t hurt, and I’m sure some of them will RT.


I found more links since I sent Donnell my post. I asked her to tack this onto it. I’d mentioned Kindle on the Cheap, but discovered they also have a Kindle on the Cheap Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kindle-on-the-Cheap/183663855030523?sk=wall


The same ladies have The Cheap for Nook deals. If you look on the right sidebar, under Facebook, they have Facebook pages for Casting Pearls (inspirational for Nook & Kindle), Nook Jr., NookLove (romance), Kindle on the Cheap, and NookTeen.


Can you think of anything I’ve missed? Do you have any advice for my friend? Or me, because I’ll use it, too.



Edie Ramer
Amazon Best-Selling Multi-Award-Winning Author
Ghosts, dragons, cats and aliens with attitude

34 comments:

Saranna DeWylde said...

Thanks for sharing! That's super helpful.

Lisa Kessler said...

Thanks for sharing!!! You had quite a few places I'd never heard of! :)

Great blog!

Lisa

Brenda ND said...

Thanks Edie,
You always give helpful suggestions.

Edie Ramer said...

Saranna and Lisa, I never heard of some of these places either until I started to write this article. lol

Yesterday I emailed the Kindle on the Cheap and the The Cheap for Nook people via their contact pages. I heard from them this morning. They're going to put Galaxy Girls in their first fall ezine, which is cool.

Edie Ramer said...

Brenda, glad to help! I heard great things about your writing from Joe on Saturday.

Carly Carson said...

Edie, thanks. This is a great list!

Christy Hayes said...

Edie,
You're the best! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!!

Liz Lipperman said...

Since I'm getting ready to put a manuscript up on Amazon, your list comes at a great time. It's full of wonderful sites, and I'll definitely use them.

Thanks, Edie.

caseyclifford said...

Edie,

Fantastic information--as always. Thanks.

Donna Marie Rogers said...

Thanks for sharing, Edie! This is some great info for promotion. :-)

Maureen Fisher said...

Many thanks for sharing this information.

Cynthia Bruner said...

Thank you so much for posting this helpful information!

Donnell said...

Edie, thanks for joining us today, and sharing your knowledge. Always a pleasure!

Edie Ramer said...

Carly, Christy, Liz, Casey, Donna, Maureen & Cynthia, it's my pleasure to help other indie authors.

Edie Ramer said...

Donnell, right back at you. It's always my pleasure to be at the Five Scribes.

Edie Ramer said...

I have 2 new sites, thanks to Amber Scott: http://indiebookblowout.com/
and http://99-cent-network.com.

It's embarrassing because my paranormal romance, Dead People, is on the 99-cent Network. I see they accept books $2.99, too. I'll post my other books, too.

Misty Evans said...

Fabulous, Edie! You're an excellent resource and have helped me with a ton of indie stuff. I've copied this page and will look into all of these. Thank you!

Edie Ramer said...

Misty, you know I'm always happy to share with you.

Edie Ramer said...

I found another place: Ereader News Today. They have a sponsor Book of the Day for $25. They say: "Your book will get sent out to over 20,000 Facebook fans who are avid Kindle readers. The ENT website also has over 11,500 readers that will see your book. We don’t guarantee that you’ll make your $25 investment back but you most likely will."

You can find out more here.

Lyn Horner said...

Wow, Edie, you are a font of great information! Thank you so much. I plan to visit every site you listed here.

Lyn

Edie Ramer said...

Lyn, as soon as I have time, I'll visit every place, too. lol

Ellis Vidler said...

Very generous of you, Edie. That's great information to copy and keep. Now, if I can just make use of it! Thanks for the post.

Edie Ramer said...

Now, if I can just make use of it!

Ellis, that's the thing. I contacted the "oh the Cheap" websites, and Daily Cheap News is always on my radar. But I've been too busy to email the others. I have to make time for it.

Edie Ramer said...

I found another site. They're popping up faster than I can keep track of. http://www.thereadersguide.com/

Leslie Ann said...

Hi Edie,
Welcome back to Five Scribes and THANK YOU so much for your candid and extremely useful information.

I love that we learn so much from this blog and people are so willing to share.

Congrats on Galaxy Girl in the fall ezine. Keep us informed :)

Hugs
LA of the scribes.

Edie Ramer said...

Leslie, it feels to me that other indie writers already paved the way. I'm just paying it forward.

Leslie Ann said...

Edie, Paying it forward is awesome. And inspiring.

I hope I can do the same. I'm excited about launching my book...just a bit longer...

~LA

Edie Ramer said...

LA, it's so exciting! You're picking a good time of year for it, too. The sales go up in Dec. and Jan.

Sandy said...

Thanks a bunch, Edie. I'm going to copy this information and put it in a file.

Edie Ramer said...

Sandy, I need to keep it in a file, too, including the new links I found.

Roxane Tepfer Sanford said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Roxane Tepfer Sanford said...

The Girl in the Lighthouse~$0.99 Kindle and Nook

fOIS In The City said...

Edie, You are a strong writer and a determined woman. I loved this and thanks so much for posting so much great info :)

Edie Ramer said...

Flo, that's a wonderful compliment. Right back at you.