Monday, January 9, 2012

Voice and Genre: Does It Carry Over?

I just finished reading one of my all-time favorite authors.  She's on my auto-buy whenever she has a new release.  And although, the plot grabbed me, her characters were great, I felt like she was straddling the genre between her old category romances and her widely successful branch into mainstream stardom.

Which got me to thinking.  If you try different genres, are you careful not to let one genre or the other interfold?  I'm thinking about authors like Jayne Ann Krentz.  Writing historicals, futuristics and women's fiction.  I would love to know how she does it.

I have a favorite historical author who writes thrillers.  Although I love her historical voice, I easily can resist her thrillers. 

What do you think?  If you have an author you love, would you follow them to the ends of the bookstore?  Or, like me, are you noticing the difference?

3 comments:

Theresa said...

Interesting question, Donnell!
I have unpublished friends who write in multigenres, and I have a strong preference for one--and think she does it better, but not sure about published authors.

Oh! I do know one.
I like both Contemporary and Regency romances and Lisa Kleypas writes both, well, but I far prefer her contemporary romances. Though I suspect that it's because of the characters and story of the contemporary appeal more to me.

My hat is off to those who can write in multigenres well, though, 'cause it's not a skill I have. Rs to contemporaries, yes, but not different time periods or YA/Children to adult. I couldn't do it.

Think they have multiple personality tendencies going on that make it easier for them??? Just wondering.

caseyclifford said...

Donnell,

For me, it depends on the author and the type of genre. Love JAK and alter ego AQ. Don't care for JC though I see the underlying attention to plot and detail. It's the genre.

I feel that way with others also, but for me, it's mostly a genre-related issue not the author voice or technique.

Lori Corsentino said...

What a great question, Donnell! I think as a reader, I'd at least try out a new genre that a fav author was writing in, but I'd be a bit careful. Case in point, I love Heather Graham's historicals, and have purchased - but not yet read (in the TBR pile!) one of her romantic suspense novels. Another is Linda Howard. I enjoyed the westerns she wrote early in her career, and enjoyeed the time travel she did, but I LOVE her romantic suspense. She seems to separate the genres fairly well.

As for writing, I do pen stories in different genres (P/TT/F/F, romantic suspense, historical and contemporary) and I have noticed that most of my stories have a flavor of romantic suspense and a little more than usual heat level. So as a writer, my genres have a habit marrying and mingling, kinda like good Italian cooking. :)
Lori