Monday, February 6, 2012

Welcome Our New Scribe!


I met Ann before we'd even had our first official school event at Seton Hill. She and I sat next to each other at an informal Red Robin dinner, and when we saw each other's name tags, we realized we had just met our assigned critique group members. We got on so well that semester that we remained critique partners throughout school, and we've become friends besides.

Recently, she was hired by Lori Wilde to edit for Lori's Indulgence line at Entangled Publishing. So now we're coworkers, too!

We at Five Scribes were delighted when Ann agreed to join us. As you can see, she'll bring a fresh perspective to the blog. Welcome Ann!

When I first heard you'd be trading a fantasy novel with us, I admit I was concerned. I don't read a lot of the genre, and I'm pretty picky about what types of fantasy I'll read. But then I got your manuscript and was captivated by how you've twisted the genre. Share with us what youwrite so everyone else can see why I was blown away.
For long fiction, fantasy and paranormal romance. I dabble in science fiction and horror, but in short stories, rather than novels.Though my novels tend to have some really dark moment in them.

I'm querying a project that's kind of a cross between high fantasy and urban fantasy, much in the way a Reese's Peanut Butter cup combines chocolate and peanut butter. Immortal lords, sexy reports, swords, guns, cars,betrayal and a great evil about to come back into the world. I'm finishing up a smexy paranormal romance about a guy, a grumpy forest and field fae, and a flock of vampires on a cruise ship crossing the Atlantic (what could possibly go wrong with that?).


Writers are supposed to read. A lot. So tell us what you like to read.
Everything? I do read quite a lot of fantasy. I enjoy all kinds of YA and romance. I like historical fiction. I like non-fiction. Science fiction. I don't read a lot of horror novels, but I love horror shorts. So far this year, I've read a steampunk YA, two paranormal romances, and two m/m romances, one historical and the other fantasy.
I'm currently reading an epic fantasy door-stopper and a book on the history of the battle of Agincourt.

I'm on Goodreads, so you can follow along as I plow through my reading list. I'm trying for 50 books this year.

I like to gush about Seton Hill on this blog, so now it's your turn. What was your favorite thing about the Writing Popular Fiction program?
The people. The instructors were fabulous--are still fabulous and giving. And my fellow students were great. I made friendships that will last a life-time. The environment was so supportive of genre fiction.

Tell us about your new editing job.
I'm an associate editor for Entangled Publishing, working on Lori Wilde's Indulgence line of category romances. My job is to help the authors of the great books Lori finds turn their works into books readers can't put down.

But editing is a new addition to your work schedule. Tell us aboutyour day job.
I'm a technical writer. I learn about complex things that engineers create and then translate what they tell me into plain English so folks can actually use whatever it is. I also get to be an advocate for the user and tell the engineers when their design is--not conducive to a good user experience.

Gotta love those "undocumented features." So what are your hobbies?
Gardening, both inside and out. I have a very bad orchid habit and I love to dig in the dirt. I'm also a member of the SCA, so I dress up in medieval clothing and hang with royalty, yo. I just got a bread machine,so I've been baking a lot of bread.

And I have two feline overlords who demand that I play with them, feed them kibble, and provide them a warm body on which to lay.

Two enter the ring. One leaves. Who and why?
a. Locke Lamora vs Honey Badger
Locke. The man survived being in a barrel of horse piss and the ire of Bond Magi. You think a Honey Badger's gonna stop him? Honey Badgers might ear snakes out of trees, but Locke will just skewer it with a sword. Then probably make some kind of fine meal out of it to serve to unsuspecting nobles.
b. Legolas vs Dannel Rivvis (the conniving and hardcore Elasi in Ann's novel)
HA! Dannel. He has a gun and he knows how to use it. Legolas may be a fantastic archer, but Dannel plays dirty. He's also not stuck in the middle ages. The world grew up and he adapted. Swords? Yup. Guns? Yup. Cars? Yup. Ever see Legolas in a car? No? Well then.
c. Chess Putnam vs Rachel Morgan
Oooh. Hmm. Geez. I think they'd band together to hunt down and kill the bastard who stuck them into the ring.

Where can we find you on the interwebz?
I have a pretty static website at annlaurelkopchik.com.I'm very active on twitter as @amergina. I'm on G+ as Ann Kopchik. Your best bet is probably twitter.
Thanks for joining us, Ann! We look forward to the posts you'll bring to Five Scribes.

No comments: