Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Favorite Time of Year?

As the winter is waning here in Colorado, even though it was a mild one, I'm ready for a change. Though I love shoveling snow--no thanks you snow-shoveling haters, I've got a big enough drive to keep me busy, I'm not going to come to your house, winter has been around long enough for me. And then I think about how lucky I am to be able to live here where we have four distinct seasons.

I LOVE having seasons. We lived in San Diego for 5 years, and while I made some terrific friends and it was a good experience, I missed not having four seasons.
And I missed not having good old midwestern falls.

Fall is my absolutely favorite season hands down. The colors are lovely, the smell is wonderful, it’s a cozy time of year or anticipation, heralding in coming holidays which means great food and family. It’s the rest before the delightful madness. And it’s huddling before a fireplace with a good book–one of my favorite things to do!

What is your favorite time of year? Hmm, how much of your opinion do you think is a factor of where you grew up imprinting that feeling/desire/appreciation on you? I'd hazard a guess that it has a lot to do with my desire for four seasons and loving the fall. I grew up in michigan and I'm old enough that we used to burn the leaves at the street. I LOVE that smell of burning leaves. It reminds me of home, my grandma and good things.

You?

5 comments:

Carrie L. Lewis said...

I'm not sure I can choose a favorite season.

Spring is great with all the new growth, bright colors, and warming temperatures.

Summer is good. The days are long and sometimes lazy.

I, too, love the colors of Fall and sorely miss Michigan autumns. Kansas has a good autumn ... once in a while.

Winter is beautiful when there's snow and there wasn't much this year. We've already had more hail accumulation in three or four weeks than we had snow all winter!

So the best I can do is pick my least favorite season, which is summer. Particularly August. Hot, dry, and usually brown. Just not very exciting in Kansas!

Marsha said...

I agree with you, Theresa. Fall is absolutely the best. Then I'd pick winter like you, Carrie. We didn't really have one this year either. Two years ago we had spectacular snow and I have pics with two inches of the wet stuff stuck to tree limbs outside our house. Stunning. Grew up around the country and mostly didn't get snow, and I'm pretty certain that's why I love it so much. While spring is lovely with our bluebonnets in Texas, I hate spring because of the tornadoes. Spent one year in Mass when I was in 6th grade--now that's a fall and winter. I"m already dreading another Texas summer heatwave like we had last year. Getting in a car with the temp registering 116 degrees is just the absolute pits. I'd move except the grands are here, just a few blocks away. Best I can do is short visits to New England. Even when I'm not there, I'm planning to be there. LOL Clearly, you punched my button with this topic, Theresa.

Theresa said...

Carrie, you too really seem to enjoy having distinct seasons. Since summers are uncomfortable in both TX and KS, it's no wonder there are LOTS of texans, Oklahomians and Kansas people in Crested Butte all summer long!

They come by droves to escape the heat and humidity. CB rarely gets hotter than 85 and is usually in the 70s during summer .

SOunds like you guys miss the midwest and east.

Danica/Dream said...

Theresa, you can come shovel my walks anytime! I love winter in CO because I work from home and can watch the pretty snow without dealing with it. :)

Nanci Lee Woody said...

Fall is my favorite season, too. Sacramento has its four seasons, but not as different from each other as in Illinois, where I grew up. I love the Fall colors, the cool air, the promise of rain (not snow!), no more 100+ degree days. And, unlike Spring, there is NO pollen in the air to ruin a good walk. I prefer cooler weather to hotter. And, Fall starts the opera season. I've been going to all the Met Live in HD performances for years. What a treat! Manhattan in Sacramento.