Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

For our men and women in service to the
United States of America, we salute you.

Memorial Day, in my humble opinion, isn't about being a Democrat, Republican, Independent, etc. To me it's about being an American with freedoms hard fought for. 

Today, stop for a moment and think of all our service men and women, living and not.  Pass on the quotes, they're for all of us.  ~LA of the Scribes.

True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
~ Arthur Ashe

They hover as a cloud of witnesses above this Nation.
~ Henry Ward Beecher

Who kept the faith and fought the fight; The glory theirs, the duty ours.  ~ Wallace Bruce



A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.
~ Joseph Campbell

It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.
~ Norman Schwarzkopf

And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died
who gave that right to me.
~ Lee Greenwood

The brave die never, though they sleep in dust:
Their courage nerves a thousand living men.
~ Minot J. Savage

The patriot's blood is the seed of Freedom's tree. ~ Thomas Campbell

The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example.  ~ Benjamin Disraeli
Each man is a hero and an oracle to somebody.  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for,
Is their monument to-day, and for aye. ~ Thomas Dunn English

For thee of country they accepted death...  ~ James A. Garfield

The greatest glory of a free-born people is to transmit that freedom to their children.
~ William Havard

On thy grave the rain shall fall from the eyes of a mighty nation!  ~ Thomas William Parson

We come, not to mourn our dead soldiers, but to praise them. ~ Francis A. Walker


3 comments:

KatieO said...

What a wonderful roundup of quotes!

Thanks for this post and have a great day.

Leslie Ann aka LA said...

Thanks Katie,
My of my family in one capacity or another have served. I'm writing a story about my mother who was instrumental in the Kinderlift during the Berlin Blockade.

Ciao
~LA

Leslie Ann aka LA said...

Make that...Most of my family...
Yikes.