Thursday, May 3, 2012

Social Media Class for Everyone

Social Media is important to writers or anyone who wants to promote themselves, products (like books:)) or simply stay in touch with friends and the world. 

Don't understand it?  I don't either, really.  But Cindy Carroll is going to change that.

So take this class, it could be one of the most important tools in your arsenal to win those readers, stay in touch and be cool when someone asks for your "handle."
In Social media for the writer we’ll look at the different options out there and demystify them.


Social media confusion?

With so many social media options out there what’s a writer to do? We can’t join all of them. Well, I guess we could but then when would we have time to write? The fact is social media helps sell books. Love it or hate it, if you’re a writer with a book to sell you need to be on some of the social media sites. The important thing is to pick the one (or two or five) that are right for you.

I hear frequently from other writers that they don’t like social media. They don’t like Twitter because it’s confusing. They don’t like some of the other ones because they take so much time. So really, is it that they don’t like social media? Or that social media confuses the heck out of them so they stay away?

In a lot of cases I’d say it’s the later. I know some members of my writing group were apprehensive about joining Twitter because they wondered who would follow them. Wouldn’t they look pathetic if they had zero followers? Or just a handful? Until I found some tools to help me organize and decipher Twitter I wasn’t a huge fan either. Now I LOVE Twitter.
After implementing tools because I had a specific target I gained over 200 followers in less than 3 weeks.

And my friend Joanne (http://www.twitter.com/JoanneGuidoccio) who just joined Twitter a little over a month ago followed my advice and has over 500 followers in her first month!

Social media is not just about getting your followers or friends or repins up there. Social media is a great way to connect with readers, make friends, learn about opportunities. Did you know some agents hold pitch sessions on Twitter? Yep. Tweet your pitch in a 140 characters or less! I found out about the Avon Impulse call for submissions on Twitter.

For all these reasons and more, I’m giving a Social Media for the Writer  http://bit.ly/IppdbO class!

I talk about ways to organize your social media to better use it. I help demystify some of the most popular social media sites. And there will be assignments to get you started on your social media of choice!



Cindy Carroll is a member of RWA and a graduate of Hal Croasmun's screenwriting ProSeries. Her interviews with writers of CSI and Flashpoint appeared in The Rewrit, the Scriptscene newsletter, the screenwriting Chapter of RWA. She writes screenplays, thrillers, and paranormals, occasionally exploring an erotic twist. When she's not writing you can usually find her on Twitter.

What’s covered?

Explanations of Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, Reddit, Digg, LinkedIn, Triberr, GoodReads, Blogs

What are they? How do you use them? Which one is best for you?

Week 1 Twitter
Week 2 Facebook
Week 3 All others/ Wrap-up


See you there!
~LA

4 comments:

Jess * Jessie * Jessy said...

Sounds great! I just signed up for the class. I'm really interested in learning more about Google+, Pinterest, Reddit, Diggs, and Triberr. Some of these, I wonder ... what's the point?

Looking forward to it.

Cindy Carroll said...

Hi Jess! Some are better than others but they all have a niche. A group of people who gravitate towards them instead of the others. See you in class!

Leslie Ann aka LA said...

Hi Jess,
See you in class. I'm excited to take this, Cindy is our social media guru for Scriptscene and she's very savvy on all this. She also builds websites (for herself, I believe she's up to 5) and just started maintaining ours, so she understands all ends of this. Yay for us.

~ciao
LA

Donnell said...

I can attest Cindy knows what she's doing. Great instructor and up on social networking and industry. (Unlike me!) :)))