Monday, December 24, 2012

Every Author's Goal: Getting the Words Right

One of the best editing books I own is Theodore A. Reese Cheney's GETTING THE WORDS RIGHT, How to Rewrite, Edit & Revise. One reason because of this particular stanza in the book, an an interview between the Paris Review & Hemingway.

Paris Review: How much rewriting do you do?

Hemingway: It depends. I rewrote the ending to A Farewell to Arms, the last page of it, thirty-nine times before I was satisfied.

Paris Review: Was there some technical problem there? What was it that had stumped you?

Hemingway: GETTING THE WORDS RIGHT.

~~ Every author's goal, Getting the Words Right.


What editing books do you love?  Whatever holiday you celebrate, I hope it's joyful!  

2 comments:

Leslie Ann aka LA said...

Love Hemingway's comment, how could you not. I'll go look at Amazon now.

Why do you find it so helpful? There are a lot of books out there for editing...so why this one?

ciao
Merry Christmas
LA

Donnell Ann Bell said...

L.A. I love this book because it teaches you to express your ideas clearly while still trimming away weak or extra words.

Further, it gives you examples, when often instructors say don't do this, GTWR shows you (before and after) how to make your writing stronger.

Very helpful...although it would probably suggest I get rid of the word "very". :)