Monday, September 2, 2013

Fruits of Labor


Happy Labor Day, if you live in the US. It’s the unofficial start to fall, when all the kids are back to school and the long summer days are behind us.

It’s been a year full of labor for me, when it comes to my writing. Last year in November, I published my first novel, Close Quarter. It’s a male/male erotic paranormal romance. In May of this year, I followed it with a short story, Slow Waltz, which continues the story of the characters in Close Quarter.

And just this past week, I found out that my publisher is putting Close Quarter out in print. So I’ll finally get to hold a bound copy of something I’ve written!

Here’s the cover flat. It even has review quotes! Never thought I'd see review quotes...


Also in May, I accepted representation from Jennifer Udden of the Donald Maass Literary Agency. I'm still kind of reeling from that. They represent some of my favorite authors.

I’m currently revising a fantasy novel based on her feedback, and continuing to write romance as well. My first love is fantasy, but I've found a home and quite a bit of camaraderie in writing romance. And I see no reason to tie myself down to any one genre. 

I wrote the fantasy novel I'm revising before I wrote Close Quarter, and I learned quite a bit about deep point of view and tension in the process of writing the romance. I’ve come to realize that I can apply what I learned writing the one novel to the revisions of the other. Heck, it was while writing the fantasy that I had the idea to write a romance anyway. There’s something about political tension that’s akin to romantic tension...a certain push-pull and playing with emotions and situations.

That’s probably one of the reasons I ended up male/male romance rather than the more traditional male/female romance—I wanted to explore different sexual tensions than the ones I experience myself, different ways people can relate and dance with each other. All kinds of people make up this world and all kinds of relationships exist.

I have all sorts of story ideas, from romance, to urban fantasy and fantasy, and even science fiction. I’m very happy that I found an agent who is interested in representing all those things.

So that’s where I am at the moment. I’m going to try to be better about blogging, both at my personal blogs and here.

Hope everyone is having a great Labor Day or an awesome Monday.

3 comments:

Leslie Ann aka LA said...

Wow, you've had quite the year! I'm glad we can catch up with you and congrats on the print book and agent representation. Awesome..as well as TWO books out.

Can't wait to read more of your adventures.
~LA

Lisa Potocar said...

"Fruits of Labor" is a perfect title for your year, Ann! Amazing how much hard work can pay off in a relatively short period of time. Keep up the great work, but take time to celebrate it too!

BTW, your cover for your print release of Close Quarter is stunning...a huge congrats to you on that and landing an agent in the Donald Maass Literary Agency!!!

AnnK said...

Thanks so much, LA and Lisa!